- Rotax® V-Twin engine options: Available with a 71-hp Rotax 800R or 82-hp Rotax 1000 liquid-cooled V-Twin engines with four valves per cylinder and overhead camshafts. With twin fuel injectors that supply efficient fuel delivery into the combustion chamber for powerful, yet precise performance. The Rotax 800R and 1000 engines are the most fuel-efficient in the industry.
- Intelligent Throttle Control (iTC): iTC’s throttle-by-wire set up improves throttle response, smoothes power delivery and ensure precision throttle control even in the roughest of terrain. The Rotax engine uses a throttle-by-wire system for more accurate throttle response and a smooth power delivery. If the driver’s foot bounces on the gas pedal in rough terrain, iTC detects unwanted bounces and filters the input, resulting in more throttle accuracy, especially at low speed. It also reduces the number of moving parts in the vehicle; has no cable to adjust, lubricate, or replace; and the system has an increased life span.
- Quick-ratio steering system (10.2:1): A quicker steering ratio means more responsive handling with pinpoint accuracy and control. The steering ratio of the Can-Am Commander is 10.2:1. This translates to more accurate, responsive and precise control.
- 214-mm ventilated disc brakes with hydraulic twin-piston calipers: Outboard disc brakes with 214-mm discs and twin-piston calipers. Large 214-mm outboard hydraulic disc brakes feature twin-piston callipers to provide superb stopping power.
- Torsional Trailing arm Independent (TTI) rear suspension with external sway bar: Exclusive to Can-Am, TTI eliminates scrub and camber changes by using proprietary geometry that places the pivot points ahead of the rear wheels. The Torsional Trailing arm Independent (TTI) rear suspension is the only independent rear suspension that eliminates scrub and camber changes. Because the pivot points are ahead of the wheels, the rear wheels pivot up and down, which ensures that the vehicle only moves in the direction you point it. TTI has fewer parts than competitive designs and significantly decreases tire wear.
- 11-in. of ground clearance: For maximum performance in challenging terrain, the Commander has 11-in. of ground clearance. With 11 total inches of ground clearance the Commander can tackle brutal conditions and challenging terrain. Its suspension also features integrated sag to let it work in its travel “sweet spot.”
- Motion Control Shocks: This suspension features five-way, pre-load-adjustable motion control shocks with 10 in. (254 mm) of travel and large diameter shock bodies (1.4 in./36 mm) for better durability and better resistance to fading.
- Double A-arm front suspension with dive-control geometry: The Can-Am Commander's double A-arm front suspension is designed with dive-control geometry that works to eliminate diving under heavy breaking and rough terrain. The front end features 10 in. of travel (25 cm) and five-way preload-adjustable motion-control shocks.
- 625-W magneto: This package provides a more powerful magneto with 625-W of power output.
- Cockpit storage: The Can-Am Commander models feature 1,928 cube inch of convenient and versatile cockpit storage space so you can take your essentials with you.
- 2-in. rear hitch receiver: Descrption: Standard 2-in. hitch receiver accommodates a tow vehicle’s towing bar. The Commander has a standard 2-in. rear receiver hitch that can work with a standard vehicle towing bar.
- Adjustable driver seat and tilt steering: Automotive-type adjustments, that require no tools and offer the driver superb comfort levels.
- D.E.S.S.™ (Digitally Encoded Security System): The industry’s first standard anti-theft device. The Can-Am Commander comes with two different keys. One that limits top speed to 44 mph (70 km/h). The second is the performance key with no limitation on speed or power. An optional third work key is available for purchase and limits top speed to 25 mph (40 km/h) for use on work sites.
- Industry’s exclusive Dual-level cargo box: The industry’s most versatile and usable cargo box design has a 600-lb cargo capacity, dual storage levels, anti-rust box and tilt-assist dumping. Industry's first cargo box with two levels separated by a removable, water-resistant panel. It offers the possibility to have an upper and a lower bed with their independent tailgate. Carrying capacity of the box is 13.1 cu ft /372 l of total volume and 600 lb. The tilt-assist dump-bed can be easily activated from both sides. Its single latch upper and lower gates are easily removable and no tools are required. Made of high-strength, anti-rust, anti-dent composite. Also comes with an optional trunk lock as an accessory to secure lower level.
- Easy-to-use maintenance center: Easily accessible and out of the elements under the hood, a centralized maintenance area allows access to the air box, radiator and coolant overflow. Fuses and relays are also easily accessible.
- Driver and passenger advanced ergonomics: The Can-Am Commander was designed with a more ergonomic seating and steering position than competitive side-by-sides. This provides an optimal seating position, automotive-like ergonomics, low hip position (H point), easier ingress / egress, optimal comfort when riding and more legroom.
- Passenger handhold and grab bar: The passenger handhold and grab bar provide a comfortable location for passenger’s to place their hands while riding off-road. Ergonomically designed passenger handholds are located immediately in front of the passenger and to their left-hand side.
- 10-gal gas tank: The industry’s largest fuel tank lets you ride longer and work harder. With a capacity that’s 11% more than its nearest competitor, the industry’s largest gas tank (10 gal) supplies maximum range for work and play.
- Fits in the bed of most full-size pickup trucks: The Commander family can fit in the bed of most full-size pickup trucks. Many full-size pick-up truck owners will be pleased to know the Commander will fit in the bed of their truck.
- 240-W lighting: The Can-Am Commander family of side-by-side vehicles features the industry’s best lighting system at 240-W. Automotive-style projectors, on each side, run at 120-W in low beam and 240-W in high-beam mode.
- 2-in. diameter ROPS-approved cage: ROPS-approved, 2-in. steel cage that is fully approved using the Rollover Protective Structures (ROPS) industry standard.
- Quick-attach side nets: Located on both sides of the vehicle, side nets can be operated by one hand and won’t impair the occupants’ vision. Get in and out quickly with this simple one-hand and one-click system. Designed to maintain a clear field of vision for driver and passenger.
- Removable free-standing seats: The freestanding Commander seats can be removed from the machine without tools. Full bolster seats provide lumbar and shoulder support, and provide comfort in aggressive riding situations. Both seats are easily removable and come with an integrated stand offering a comfortable seating position when used outside of the vehicle.
- Dual cup holders: Purpose-built for use off-road, twin cup holders feature integrated rubber flaps.
- 1,500-lb. towing capacity: Tow heavy loads of up to 1,500 lb with the Commander . Working with a Commander side-by-side vehicle is a snap with its ability to tow up to 1,500 lb.
Specific To Package
- 4,000-lb WARN® winch with roller fairlead, wired remote control and integrated winch remote storage: BRP partnered with well-known off-road industry leader WARN to add its 4,000-lb winch to the Commander XT and LIMITED. BRP chose a premium WARN winch kit for the ultimate in performance and durability. Well respected in the off-road community, the WARN winch kit includes a roller fairlead, wired remote control and integrated winch remote storage.
- 14-in. cast-aluminum wheels with machined finish: Wheels featuring a strong lightweight construction.
- Heavy-duty front bumper: Beefier looks and functionality to enhance the fascia on the Commander.
- Rugged bed rails: Rugged bed rails are included in the XT and LIMITED packages. XT-specific bed rails installed on the Dual-level™ cargo box add more tie-down points for cargo carrying.
- Mudguards: Added fender extensions or mudguards created an extra layer of mud protection for the occupants. Provide added protection in muddy conditions.
- NEW Dynamic Power Steering (DPS™): The DPS™ technology includes a Direct Link setup that uses advanced magnetic field sensors for faster response to steering input than competitive technology, which then minimizes steering lag. Less kickback and more trail feedback is supplied to the operator because of the 50:1 final gear ratio, which is the largest in the industry. A high-capacity 50-amp motor means the DPS™ will never fade with heavy use and all DPS™-equipped models also come with the Visco-Lok® QE.
- Custom steering wheel with brushed aluminum center piece
- 27-in. Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires: The lightweight radial tires offer a smoother ride, predictable cornering and optimum climbing confidence.
- Visco-Lok® QE auto-locking front differential: All DPS-equipped models have the Visco-Lok® QE calibration up front, which has all the features and benefits of the standard quick-engagement Visco-Lok® differential, but with an even quicker engagement point. The industry’s only progressive auto-locking front differential that engages all wheels at any speed. It constantly monitors front wheel speed, and if it detects one wheel spinning faster than its mate, it progressively sends more power to the wheel with better traction. All without the driver having to push buttons or pull levers.
- Analog/digital gauge: State-of-the-art instrumentation including analog tachometer and speedometer, and a digital information center.
- Industry-exclusive NEXT G-1 Vista® Camo color option
- Drive Train: Selectable 2WD/4WD shaft driven with Visco-Lok® front differential
- Transmission: CVT, sub-transmission with high, low, park, neutral & reverse. Standard engine braking
- Bore & Stroke: 91 x 75 mm
- Fuel System: iTC™ with EFI and 54mm Throttle Body, 2 Siemens® VDO injectors
- Type: 976cc, V-twin, liquid-cooled, SOHC, 8-valve (4-valve/cyl)
- Starting System: Electric
- Tires/Front: Carlisle® Black Rock 27 x 9 x 12 in. 686 x 229 x 305 mm
- Front Suspension Travel: 10 in. (254 mm)
- Rear Brake: Single 214 mm ventilated disc brake with hydraulic twin-piston caliper
- Frame: Steel
- Cage type: 2-inch diameter, high-strength steel, ROPS-approved
- Tires/Rear: Carlisle® Black Rock 27 x 9 x 12 in. 686 x 229 x 305 mm
- Rear Suspension Travel: 10 in. (254 mm)
- Wheels: Steel Black
- Rear Suspension Type/Shocks: Torsional Trailing arm Independent (TTI) with external sway bar/ Motion Control shocks
- Front Suspension Type/Shocks: Double A-arm with dive-control geometry / Motion Control shocks
- Steering wheel adjustment: Adjustable tilt steering
- Front Brakes: Dual 214 mm ventilated disc brakes with hydraulic twin-piston calipers
- Ground Clearance: 11 in. (279 mm)
- Cargo Box Capacity: Total: 600 lb. (272 kg) Upper: 400 lb. (181 kg) Lower: 200 lb. (91 kg)
- L x W x H (mm): 3,004 x 1,489 x 1,829 mm
- Dry Weight: 1,295 lb. (585 kg)
- Towing Capacity: 1,500 lb. (680 kg)
- Wheelbase: 75.8 in. (1,924 mm)
- Cockpit Storage: Glove Box: 4.5 gal. (17.2 L) Under driver seat: 3.5 gal. (13.1 L)
- Fuel Capacity: 10 US gal. (37.8 L)
- L x W x H (in): 118.3 x 58.6 x 72 in
- Anti-theft System: D.E.S.S.™ (Digital Encoded Security System)
- Instrumentation: Speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip and hour meters, fuel, gear position, sport mode, seat belt and 4x4 indicator, diagnostics, clock, auto shut off
- DC Outlet: Lighter type in console, standard connector in the back (15A)
- Lighting: 4 60-watt projectors with tail lights/brake light
- Electrical: Prewired for winch
- Color(s) Available: NEXT® G-1 Vista™ Camouflage
- Basic: 6 months limited factory warranty
- Extended: B.E.S.T. available from 6 to 30 months
- NEW Dynamic Power Steering (DPS™)
- Visco-Lok® QE auto-locking front differential
- 4,000-lb WARN® winch with roller fairlead, wired remote control and integrated winch remote storage
- 14-in. cast-aluminum wheels with machined finish
- 27-in. Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires
- Heavy-duty front bumper
- Analog / digital gauge